Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Art & History walking hand in hand!

From May through September each year, I am a volunteer and board member of our local Kettle Falls Historical Center. Located along the Columbia River, our interpretive exhibit "People of the Falls" celebrates the rich history of the Colville Confederated Tribes as well as the Hudson Bay Company along with the pioneers, trappers and military personnel that settled into this region.

I do enjoy history, but if anyone knows me, they know that ART is what makes me the happiest. So, it's no surprise that the best role for me to take on at the Center would be to spearhead marketing, advertising and ART related exhibits!

This brings me to today's Historic Show & Tell... we have started an annual marketing competition for the participation of local artists. This is a theme related competition to celebrate a part of history and life along the river. The winning entry will be used as a marketing and advertising tool throughout the next season, such as posters, postcards and advertisements. As a board member, I am exempt from competing for the prize money but I am still able to participate in the accompanying Art Exhibit .

The theme this year is "Salmon". The salmon rich waters of the Columbia River provided a vital food source for Native Americans. With the long winter season of the region, the salmon were dried to provide the needed nourishment to see the tribes through until spring of each year. The Native Americans would prepare huge "Salmon Feasts" in celebration and gratitude for the bounty that the river provided.

It's been awhile since I've created anything much larger than in an ATC sized format, so I did find this a bit of a challenge. The minimum size requirement was 11"X14" so that's what I decided to do. My artwork was inspired by Native American Salish Art, the style represents similar drawings found in this region. Of course, I did take artistic license and made it my own. (Once a Janoodler, always a Janoodler!!)

Below are photos of my original design and of the finished work.

Basic Ink Design

Salmon "Janoodle Style"


Until next time... Happy Creating!!




1 comment:

  1. You know that I'm a big fish art fan. Love the one that you did here. I tried to do that style of art, but I never could seem to keep it neat. I like how you were able to make it so crisp!

    ReplyDelete