Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I haven't "lost my marbles"... this is really fun!!

I'm always looking for background designs to build upon for my various projects. The more colors and shapes the better in my opinion. Looking back at some tried and true methods from my past endeavors, I came up with a renewed urge to do some paper marbling. I really haven't done any in years, it was a favorite project when teaching my art classes for kids. They marveled at the works of art that they were able to create. I really loved seeing their enthusiasm & the fun they were having with it!!  So, what better thing to do on a deary winter day than to have some of that simply wonderful fun for myself!!

I have used a few different methods of marbling but I find the one I'm using today to be the easiest I've found while giving great results and being very economical to acquire all the supplies needed!

Below are a couple photos and a list of your needed supplies.
  1. Liquid Starch - I got this jug at Wal-Mart (or local grocery stores)
  2. Craft Acrylic Paint -  an assortment of colors - a little dab'll do ya!! 
  3. Sheets of paper - I've had great luck with card stock (very affordable, too!!)
  4. 2 Shallow Baking Pans -  One for marbling & One for rinsing
  5. Plastic containers - any style you wish, for thinning paint in
  6. Eye droppers (optional) - I like to use these for paint dropping (or brushes) 
  7. Combs, skewers  - used to run through paint to create your patterns
  8. Newspapers - for cleaning paint residue & drying papers on 
  9. Liquid Dish Soap - just enough to add only 1 drop to each color you use



Let's get started creating some wonderful art... 
Don't forget to have FUN!!

First things first... set up your work area with all of your supplies!
  • Take 1 Baking Pan & fill with water for rinsing your paper sheets
  • Fill the 2nd Baking Pan with Liquid Starch - (approx. 1 inch deep)
  • Prepare your Acrylic Paint in containers - thin with water to a consistency like milk (if it is too thick, it will sink to bottom of starch - too thin, it will spread out too much & color won't be as bright) Add 1 drop of dish soap & mix
  • Set out some newspapers where you have room for drying your marbled papers after rinsing - do not stack - (or you can also hang papers from a line if you prefer)
Alright, we are ready to rumble... uhmm, I mean marble!!

At this point it would be ideal for you to see a video of me actually creating but I am not up on all that newfangled stuff... I'm somewhat electronically challenged!! However; you are in luck, there are some wonderfully talented artists with You Tube videos on marble paper techniques... it would be worth your while to check them out and actually see what I would have a hard time explaining effectively!! Several of them easily show step by step how to create the various styles of patterns by using the combs and skewers. They also show you how to skim the paint residue between printings with the newspaper strips that you've gathered. Seeing is believing... It really is quite easy to get going once you just jump in and try!! 

Below are some examples of marble sheets that I created. I always use half sheets of paper when marbling, they are a perfect size to easily use in many of my projects... postcards, ATC's, greetings cards, journal covers or even to cover other objects!!




Thanks for stopping by... 
Hopefully you've been inspired enough to give paper marbling a try!! 
 Until next time... Blessings to you all!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know that you could use acrylic! You've taught a new student today. I gotta go buy some liquid starch now. LOL! Thank you, I love your results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just had a thought on the droppers as well...might be a savings to use straws as droppers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking this out, think you'll like this method if you give it a try! The straws are a great idea... I've had these droppers on hand for years, they really have come in handy!

      Delete
  3. I'm sold. Dang someone please finish my studio so I can play!!! Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your marbled papers are gorgeous! I am going to have to give this a go one of these days! I did marbled paper with chalk pastels and plain water a few years ago but mine were not near as brilliant with color as yours are and I didn't get all those cool swirls and all!

    ReplyDelete