Monday, August 4, 2014

The ancient art of Mosaic finds a place in today's art world!

Mosaic... is the art of creating images with the assemblage of small pieces of colored glass, stone or other materials. For centuries artists have been depicting people, events and telling stories through this intricate art form. The art of Mosaic has survived and evolved into our contemporary art world of today.

I mentioned recently that I had previously traveled to Italy. On that trip, I had the opportunity to see many extraordinary mosaics, all of which were a true inspiration to my creative side! I had dabbled in making mosaics in the past but nothing to compare with the remarkable works of art that are so much a part of Italy's rich history! Everywhere I looked, I was continually awe struck by the talents of the amazing artist's that put their hearts and souls into each scene! Upon my return home, I remained focused on mosaics and became determined to create a mosaic of my own.  I searched around and found all of the supplies needed on the internet. I briefly researched the technique of creating a non grouted mosaic using glass pieces called "Smalti". After understanding the basics I jumped in with both feet and started. It turned out to be the most challenging and time consuming project that I ever attempted. If I had known what I was doing from the start, I'm sure that it wouldn't have taken me quite so long to complete. I purchased the Smalti for my project from the Orsoni glass factory in Venice. They have been producing mosaic glass for over 400 years. This original family-owned glass factory also has a mosaic school. Students from all over the world have attended workshops there to learn from the Master artist, Lucio Orsoni. It soon became my dream to return to Venice and become a student.

Who says dreams don't come true?! After a few short years (or maybe 8), I am finally returning to Venice in October and I will be attending a workshop at Orsoni Mosaic School. The courses are now taught by renown mosaic artist Antonella Gallenda.  Yes, I do believe that I am truly Blessed!!

 Check out the link to their website located under My Favorites Sites.

You can be certain that I will be posting updates on my upcoming adventure... Ciao!


The top image below is my one and only Smalti Mosaic.
The next is a detailed look at the same mosaic showcasing the no grout method.


Le sorelle del fiore

Detail Close-up

The first image below is a mixed media mosaic using contemporary designs.
The next is a detailed look at the same mosaic showcasing the grouted method.

Gina's Garden

Detail Close-up




No comments:

Post a Comment